- HELENSBURGH, a town, and a burgh of barony, chiefly in the parish of Row, but partly in that of Cardross, county of Dumbarton; containing 2229 inhabitants, of whom 1672 are in the burgh, 8 miles (N. W. by W.) from Dumbarton. This place is situated on the north shore of the Frith of Clyde, at the entrance of the Gareloch, and nearly opposite to the port of Greenock, on the other side of the Frith, which is here about four miles in width. It was founded in 1777, by Sir James Colquhoun, in honour of his wife, Lady Helen Sutherland, from whom it derives its name; and has rapidly grown into importance as a fashionable watering-place, and a favourite resort of families of distinction during the summer months. The town is regularly built, and consists partly of one principal street, extending along the shore for more than a mile, and intersected at right angles by numerous other wellformed streets. The houses are of handsome appearance, and interspersed with pleasing villas having grounds tastefully laid out; the surrounding scenery, also, is agreeably diversified. On the opposite shore of the Gareloch are the elegant mansion and pleasure-grounds of Roseneath; and at the western extremity of the town is Ardincaple, the beautiful seat of the Duke of Argyll, who is also proprietor of Roseneath. Along the banks of the Gareloch are various interesting promenades; and to the north, the scenery is boldly marked with rugged mountains of Highland character. A public library, containing more than 1000 volumes, and a news-room amply furnished with daily journals and periodical publications, are supported by subscription; there are two commodious hotels, with several inns, and also numerous lodging-houses for the accommodation of visitors. On the shore, at the east end of the town, is a spacious and well-arranged building, containing hot and cold baths, with every requisite appendage.Facility of intercourse is provided by steamers to Greenock, which make nine trips daily; and from Greenock steamers run to Glasgow, touching at all the intermediate places on both banks of the Clyde. Between Greenock and Glasgow are also six railway trains, in connexion with the Helensburgh boats; and persons leaving Glasgow by these trains reach Helensburgh in one hour and a half. The passage, by steamboat, to Glasgow, is about three hours, and to Greenock a quarter of an hour. The quay, constructed in 1817, and which, at high water, was partly obstructed, has been greatly improved; and a very substantial and commodious quay has been made about a mile to the west of the town, at the entrance of the Gareloch. The town was erected into a burgh of barony by charter granted in 1802 to Sir James Colquhoun, under whom, as superior, the government is vested in a provost, two bailies, and four councillors, elected annually by the burgesses from their own body, consisting of all inhabitants who are leaseholders of houses and lands under the superior. A weekly market on Thursday, and four annual fairs, of two days each, for horses, cattle, and other merchandise, on the second Tuesday in February, the 1st June, the 6th August, and the 12th November, are allowed by charter; but they are not much frequented. The late quoad sacra parish of Helensburgh was separated from the parish of Row, by act of the presbytery, in 1839, and contained a population of 1899. The church was originally built for a congregation of Seceders, in 1824, and, on their re-union to the Established Church, was made parochial; it passed, however, in 1843, into the hands of members of the Free Church, the minister and congregation joining in the great secession of that year. The building contains 600 sittings; and there is also an Independent meeting-house in the town. A school is partly supported by the Kirk Session; and a grant has been given by government towards the erection of a parochial school. Mr. Henry Bell, who first successfully applied the steam-engine to navigation, resided at this place from 1804 till his decease in 1830; he built his first steam-boat, the Comet, at Port-Glasgow, in 1812, and made his first passage across the Clyde to Helensburgh.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Helensburgh — Koordinaten 56° 0′ N, 4° 44′ W … Deutsch Wikipedia
Helensburgh — Helensburgh, Dorf am Clyde in der schottischen Grafschaft Dumbarton; Seebäder; 700 Ew … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Helensburgh — (spr. héllensböro), Stadt und Seebadeort in Dumbartonshire (Schottland), am Clyde, erst 1777 begründet, mit Fischerei und (1901) 8554 Einw.; ihm gegenüber, auf dem andern Ufer des Gare Loch, liegt Roseneath, mit Schloß des Herzogs von Argyll … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Helensburgh — (spr. hellĕnsbörg oder börrŏ), Stadt in der schott. Grafsch. Dumbarton, an der Mündung des Gare Loch in das Clydeästuar, (1901) 8554 E., Seebad … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Helensburgh — infobox UK place country = Scotland official name= Helensburgh gaelic name= Bail eilidh scots name= population= 14,626 (2001 Census) os grid reference= NS298833 latitude= 56.016667 longitude= 4.733333 unitary scotland= Argyll and Bute lieutenancy … Wikipedia
Helensburgh F.C. — Football club infobox clubname = Helensburgh fullname = Helensburgh Football Club nickname = founded = 1896 ground = Ardencaple Park capacity = chairman = manager = league = Scottish League season = position = pattern la1=|pattern b1=|pattern ra1 … Wikipedia
Helensburgh — 1 Original name in latin Helensburgh Name in other language Helensburgh, Khelensburg, Хеленсбург State code AU Continent/City Australia/Sydney longitude 34.17836 latitude 150.99522 altitude 167 Population 5504 Date 2012 02 28 2 Original name in… … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Helensburgh — 56° 01′ 00″ N 4° 44′ 00″ W / 56.0167, 4.73333 … Wikipédia en Français
HELENSBURGH — (8), a pleasantly situated watering place in Dumbarton, on the Firth of Clyde, at the entrance of the Gareloch, 4 m. N. of Greenock … The Nuttall Encyclopaedia
Helensburgh, New South Wales — Infobox Australian Place | type = town name = Helensburgh state = nsw caption = lga = City of Wollongong postcode = 2508 est = 1865 pop = 5,503 (2006 Census) elevation= 200 maxtemp = mintemp = rainfall = stategov = Heathcote fedgov = Cunningham… … Wikipedia